Welcome to the Nelson County Historical Society!
Annual Meeting to be held April 11 at 2:00 p.m.
The annual membership meeting for the Nelson County HIstorical Society will be held on April 11 at 2:00 p.m. using Zoom. All members will receive an email with instructions for logging in. Instructions are also posted under ABOUT US
on this page for non-members. New board members and officers will be elected. The program will highlight key activities by the society during 2020 and include a presentation by Paul Wagner and Allen Hale on the making of The Blue Ridge Tunnel
Special Thanks to our Sponsors!
to become a sponsor!
More Books Available for Online Sales
A History of Nelson County as Compiled by the Home Demonstration Clubs 1964-65—a compilation of information gathered by the ladies of the county Home Demonstration Clubs about their communities, including history, homes, churches and other items. $10.50
Remembering Roseland - Family and Friends During the Great Depression (James Hight –2010) - includes schools, churches and families: Harvey, Whitehead, Giles, Stratton, Hight, and others in the Roseland area $20.00
Samuel Spencer of Virginia—Descendants and Related Families by Spencer Winn Wilkinson (2001)- a 400 page documented genealogy history of the Spencer family including Beck, Bibb, Burnett, Graves, Mills, Purvis and others $21.00
See the Museum Store to Purchase on the left column
Cemeteries of Nelson County, Virginia 2020
New edition released!
Order online or by mail
P.O Box 484
Lovingston, VA 22949
Cost: $30 + $7.00 S&H
(Va residents: $1.96 Sales Tax will be added at checkout on PayPal)
Click here for a list of cemeteries.
Member Search Capability
- A searchable listing of the Society's archival holdings at the Nelson Memorial Library and at the Oakland Museum can be found under Society Archives.
- In some instances, digitized photographs may also be available through the online catalog. We hope to increase these digitized offerings in the future.
- Digitized images of several newspapers in the days after Hurricane Camille (August 19-20, 1969) are included under Hurricane Camille.
- Oral histories and videos are also included under Hurricane Camille.
- A "Google-based" search engine for searching across the website is also included. Note: this search engine does not search the archives catalog. A separate search engine is located with the catalog for searching.
- All previously published issues of the Nelson County Historical Society's newsletter are also included under Member Login.
- Research Resources includes listings of the folders held at the Nelson Memorial Library for churches, communities, families, homes, mills, and post offices.
- Research Resources also includes a listing of links to outside sources with information on Nelson County's history and families.
We welcome feedback from our members as we strive to continue to add content to the website. Fueled by the energy of several volunteers, the donation of their time made this information possible. We sincerely thank our volunteers for their selfless devotion.
Email us by clicking on email us with your feedback: email@example.com
Annual Membership Meeting and Program on the Blue Ridge Tunnel documentary
Paul Wagner and Alan Hale on the making of The Blue Ridge Tunnel documentary. Trailer
Other programs - dates TBD
Dan Smith, son of a Nelson County slave will speak on his life and his father.
Roger S. Glass, the great-great grandson of Lucy Ann Jackson
Presentation by Roger Glass. Time TBD.
Dr. W. Horsley Gantt, M.D.: A man for all reasons!
Date is TBD Presentation by Andrew Gantt on his father Dr. W. Horsley Gantt, M.D.
Virginia Tour of Crossroads: Change in Rural America