Welcome to the Nelson County Historical Society
July 18th Program
"Lucy Ann Jackson's Journey from Enslaved to America's Oldest Living Voter
An Enduring Legacy"
by Roger Glass
now available for viewing. Members must login and select Society Programs.
A History of the Churches in the Piedmont Baptist Association of Virginia, Rose K. Bruner, editor, is now available for purchase. The book, a reprint of the 1976 edition published by the Piedmont Baptist Association, was originally published as part of the Bicentennial (1976) celebration. No changes have been made to the book aside from a new cover. Click here to order by mail. A limited number of copies are also available at Oakland Museum for purchase.
Oakland Museum has resumed normal operating hours
Wednesdays: 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Come see all the new exhibits developed over the past year! For a quick tour, see Oakland Museum.
Appointments for visits with the archivist and to do research in the archives are still required and available on Wednesday afternoons from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
To make an appointment to visit the archives:
- Send your request for information to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at Oakland - 434-263-8400.
- Messages should be received at least one week prior to the requested date to visit. You will receive an email confirmation that information to assist with your inquiry is located in our holdings and the date and time of your appointment from the staff.
- It is important to give as much information as possible about your inquiry so that we may assemble the files for review. Access to society files at the Nelson Memorial Library is restricted until the library reopens at an yet to be determined date.
- Social distancing and masks are required while in the building.
- You may want to search our online archives records (members-only feature) to identify records of potential interest prior to your visit.
- Files are public record, so they may be photocopied, scanned, or photographed. Copies are $.10/page.
- There is no charge for appointments, but donations are appreciated to help defray operating costs.
Special Thanks to our Business Sponsors!
to become a sponsor!
We welcome feedback from our members as we strive to continue to add content to the website. Fueled by the energy of several volunteers, the donation of their time made this information possible. We sincerely thank our volunteers for their selfless devotion.
Email us by clicking on email us with your feedback: email@example.com
“Down the Backroads with Lynn Coffey”
Conversation with Lynn Coffey, author of Backroads series, followed by author’s book signing. Co-sponsored with The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen and made possible by a ...
Lineage Society Workshop
See event details and purchase tickets at EventBrite Limit 12 people. Please bring your computer or tablet with you. After registration a packet will ...
"Monacan Indian Nation: The Past and the New Millenium"
Presentation by Jeff Hantman, Emeritus Professor of Anthropology, University of Virginia.
"W. Horsley Gantt, MD: A Man for All Reasons"
Presentation by Andrew Gantt.
"The Rushes of Chestnut Grove: One Family's Journey From Slavery to Freedom"
Presentation by Regina Rush.