We encourage you to take advantage of the MEMBERS ONLY searchable features created by painstaking volunteers to provide you with the very best historical information on Nelson County families and places.
We invite you to join NCHS for a very reasonable fee of $15 for individuals/organizations or $20 for families or to make a donation to help us continue our work in preserving Nelson County's rich history.
Click ONLINE JOIN
Oakland Museum will be closed for the winter beginning 29 December 2019. The museum will reopen on 4 April 2020 with regular hours. For museum store purchases or to set up an appointment to tour the museum during the winter please call 434-263-8400 or 434-277-5526.
Commemorating Camille - Never Forget
available at Oakland museum, online, or at the Nelson County Visitor Center
Jimmy Fortune & Friends
"We Won't Forget You"
The DVD is available for purchase online or at the Oakland museum.
The Album is available for immediate download at Playitforward.com.
* Sales proceeds go toward the enhancement of the Camille exhibit at Oakland.
Cemeteries of Nelson County, Virginia
The Nelson County Historical Society is planning to update and republish a new edition of their book Cemeteries of Nelson County, Virginia.
Please forward any corrections, new cemetery listings, or other information that might be helpful to firstname.lastname@example.org as we work to make the most complete listing of cemeteries available. Target publication is Spring 2020.
The last date for submissions 1 January 2020.
Member Search Capability
- A searchable listing of the Society's archival holdings at the Nelson Memorial Library and at the Oakland Museum can be found under Society Archives.
- In some instances, digitized photographs may also be available through the online catalog. We hope to increase these digitized offerings in the future.
- Digitized images of several newspapers in the days after Hurricane Camille (August 19-20, 1969) are included under Hurricane Camille.
- Oral histories and videos are also included under Hurricane Camille.
- A "Google-based" search engine for searching across the website is also included. Note: this search engine does not search the archives catalog. A separate search engine is located with the catalog for searching.
- All previously published issues of the Nelson County Historical Society's newsletter are also included under Member Login.
- Research Resources includes listings of the folders held at the Nelson Memorial Library for churches, communities, families, homes, mills, and post offices.
- Research Resources also includes a listing of links to outside sources with information on Nelson County's history and families.
We welcome feedback from our members as we strive to continue to add content to the website. Fueled by the energy of several volunteers, the donation of their time made this information possible. We sincerely thank our volunteers for their selfless devotion.
Email us by clicking on email us with your feedback: email@example.com